The Tough Calls: March 2022
The Tough Calls are sponsored by Fiziocentrs – a well known physiotherapy clinic in Latvia.
1. Black team offense, Black 33 receives a ball and makes a quick shot from a three
point line. When he lands, he steps on defender`s, Yellow 9, foot. Referee calls a faul on
Act of shooting by Yellow 9.
FIBA OBRI 33.6. A player, who is in the air. A player who has jumped into the air from a place on the playing court has the right to land again at the same place. He has the right to land on another place on the playing court provided that the landing place and the direct path between the take-off and landing place is not already occupied by an opponent(s) at the time of take-off.
Outcome: correct decision from the referees. Act of shooting foul by Yellow 9 to Black 33. Black 33 awarded three (3) free throws.
2. On Yellow team`s offense, Yellow 8 makes a pass to team mate Yellow 32, who catches a ball in air and immediatelly makes a shot. Black team defender has tried to contest a shot, but caught a Yellow 32 from side. After a contact Yellow 32 fell down. Shot was successful. Referee called a foul by Black 9 and awarded Yellow 32 one free throw.
FIBA OBRI 15.1.3. The act of shooting in a continuous movement on drives to the basket or other moving shots:
- Begins when the ball has come to rest in the player’s hand(s), upon completion of a dribble or a catch in the air and the player starts, in the judgment of the referee, the shooting motion preceding the release of the ball for a field goal.
- Ends when the ball has left the player’s hand(s), or if an entirely new act of shooting is made and, in case of an airborne shooter, both feet have returned to the floor.
Outcome: correct decision from the referees. When Yellow 32 received a pass in the air and made a shot, he had the right to land on another place on the playing court provided that the landing place and the direct path between the take-off and landing place was not already occupied by an opponent(s) at the time of take-off. An opponent (in this situation Black 9) cannot move into the path of a player after that player has jumped into the air. The basket counts and there is additional one free throw for Yellow 32.
3. Black team in offense, Black 33 running inside restricted area, receives a pass and in a continuous motion makes a shot. In a moment of shot, Black 33 contests his shot with a right hand out of his cylinder, and hits a defender`s, Yellow 2, face. Shot was successful. Referee calls offensive foul by Black 33, cancels a basket.
The offensive player, whether on the floor or airborne, shall not cause contact with the defensive player in a legal guarding position by:
- Using his arms to create more space for himself (pushing off).
- Spreading his legs or arms to cause contact during or immediately after a shot for a field goal.
FIBA OBRI 33.3. Legal guarding position
A defensive player has established an initial legal guarding position when:
- he legal guarding position extends vertically above him (cylinder) from the floor to the ceiling. He may raise his arms and hands above his head or jump vertically but he must maintain them in a vertical position inside the imaginary cylinder.
Outcome: correct decision from referees. Black 33 started his act of shooting, when jumping forward and ended shot with a release. But in a moment of shooting he made a contact by his hand with a defender`s, Yellow 2, face , while defender took a legal guarding position and made a vertical jump. Offensive foul, a canceled basket and a throw in for Yellow team from the side line.